Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Week 2 post

While going through the readings for this week, I could not help but notice how Tom Romano's work failed to meet the primary undergirding principles that were laid out in Willam's ninth chapter. Within that chapter, Williams asks that the reader always keep the question in mind "why am I teaching/assigning this?" In other words, he suggests that teachers should always keep their goals and objectives in mind while creating lessons and assignments. While this seems painfully intuitive, Williams makes the claim that there is a majority of teachers who do not keep this in mind, that many teachers throw things together the night before with little real thought to its purpose and utility on a larger level. I wish that I could disbeleive this, but I simply cannot. In my experience as a high school student, as well as a teacher in training, I have been witness to teachers who do not seem to practice this kind of straightforward thinkning. Keeping this in mind, I switched over to the Romano reading imediately after I had finished with the aforementioned.

Romano opens his book up with a very strange and pompous introduction that fails to acheive what he claims to set otut to accomplish. He then jumps straight into his back to back chapters that detail how to include multi-genre paper instruction in a typical classroom. What I felt was lacking here was any sort of hook, or reason to include this method or writing style into the classroom. It seemed to me that Romano wrote the book based on an assumption that the reader would want to immediately include multi-genre papers into the classroom. What was lacking was any sort of reason that this should be done. To be entirely honest in this blog posting, I thought that what I found within the pages of Romano's book, while a great form of personal expression that I am sure will be more fun to correct, might have very little to offer students on an academic level.

1 comment:

sspeicher said...

Hi Rob, Though I really like the multigenre idea and think it can be a way for kids to be creative in their thinking and writing, I agree with you about the practicality of it. There is just so much time in the day for writing and these kids need to know how to write traditional essays for standarized testing - including the ACTs and SATs. I think the kids are doing a lot of multigenre writing on their own in blogs, social spaces etc.